Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fruits from India!

              Did you know there is actually a breadfruit?! Yup, it's real, and it's eaten in India! If you play ZombieFarm®, like me (I love it), than you probably unlocked breadfruit and thought that, well, it was made up. Fictional, doesn't exist. Well this proves me (and all you other nonbelievers) that the zombie is indeed real and is eaten by lots of peasants (and others, but mainly peasants) all around south Asia.  Wait... did I say zombies?! I meant breadfruit, forgive me (ha ha that was actually funny :D).  But really, I've seen pictures and it looks like a big green melon with warty skin, and unfortunately, nothing like bread.  They have large, thick leaves and a milky juice.  Breadfruit is grown on trees in south India, but also in the Caribbean and areas around the Philippines, where the plant is native.  In many tropical regions, the breadfruit is a staple food (our class learned what staple foods are on Catalina Island, and I feel good using it :D).  Now, you're probably wondering why it's called a Breadfruit. I mean, it obviously doesn't look like bread, and bread certainly does not grow on trees.  So what is a melon-looking thing doing with the name like that?  The answer lies in the flavor: cooked, it happens to taste like potatoes, or like...fresh baked bread!  Bingo! You guessed it (well, actually I wrote it down, but...)!  Breadfruit is a plant with a very high annual yield.  In southern India, a single tree can produce 150-200 fruits a year!
          Thanks for reading!
--gracie

1 comment: